Testing Host Vulnerabilities
- Unix and Windows tool to display open ports
Additional tools to associate services and ports
- lsof - Unix "list open files"
- Inzider - Windows NT (PacketStorm)
While netstat tells you which ports on your computer are LISTENING, it will not tell you what services are associated with those ports and that can make shutting the ports harder. There are additional tools that you can use to determine what application is running what Internet service:
- lsof is the "list open files" command available in Unix
- Inzider is a 3rd-party software for Windows NT that is available from PacketStorm (http://packetstorm.securify.com)