IP will be dominant protocol, IP applications will grow, but….
- There is no “Holy Grail” with IP…not at the transport layer (yet)
- IP is an enabling protocol that will delivery many benefits but not at the expense of frame today. Frame relay will continue to dominate as an access service
- IP-VPNs can offer good value to some customers in the right situations – but they aren’t for everyone
- MPLS holds great promise for the future
- IP may get the press, but frame will continue to be deployed (especially as a way to provide QOS for IP)