May 4, 2017

How Do Business Professionals PREFER to Communicate?


Preference1.JPG

We previously discussed the topic of "How Business Professionals Communicate."  But the question of how they communicate is decidedly not the same as how they prefer to communicate, and we found some very different answers to this question.

42% of respondents to the "Workplace Productivity and Communications Technology Report" identified email as first preference, and 17% chose it as their second preference, for a total of 59%, making it the clear winner overall.

In addition to asking about first and second preferences, we also asked about least preferred methods.  We found it to be surprising that 42% of the respondents identified Chat/Text/Instant Messaging as their least favorite.  This is in contrast with separate finding (to be discussed later) where 61% of the same respondents agreed with the statement that "Instant messaging and chat improve teamwork and productivity."  Anecdotally, a major current challenge/frustration with this mode is the difficulty of having "universal messaging" applications that bridge multiple methods into a single user interface.

So how much are people able to communicate with their preferred method?  This chart shows the #1 and #2 choices for both "commonly used" and "preferred."

Preference2.JPG


Email and face-to-face are both strongly preferred as compared to the amount they are used - by about ten points in both cases.  At the same time telephony is used almost 20 points more than it is preferred.  Video is "in the noise" at this point, though it appears that individuals would like to use it more.  And Chat/text/IM continues to show up being surprisingly weak by comparison.

 


 

For demographic information, please click here.  To access the companion Workplace Productivity and Communications Technology Reportclick here.


This perspective is authored by Steven Taylor, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief at Webtorials, and is brought to you in part due to the generous support of:


Mitel_3.jpg


 



Leave a comment

Get E-News and Notices via Email


  

 



  

I accept Webtorials' Terms and Conditions.

Featured Sponsor Microsites






















Recent Tweets

Archives

Notices

Please note: By downloading this information, you acknowledge that the sponsor(s) of this information may contact you, providing that they give you the option of opting out of further communications from them concerning this information.  Also, by your downloading this information, you agree that the information is for your personal use only and that this information may not be retransmitted to others or reposted on another web site.  Please encourage colleagues to download their own copy after registering at https://www.webtorials.com/Sonus_logo.jpgreg/.  Continuing past this point indicates your acceptance of our terms of use as specified at Terms of Use.

Webtorial® is a registered servicemark of Distributed Networking Associates. The Webtorial logo is a servicemark of Distributed Networking Associates. Copyright 1999-2015, Distributed Networking Associates, Inc.